Location: Nairobi, Kenya
We believe in a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all.
We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with her.
We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods. We’re making an impact – learn more.
Building around a new CHAMPS (CHildren And Mother PartnershipS) model, CMMB will work at both the community and clinical levels in these targeted communities to strengthen health services and address the leading causes of maternal and child death.
In addition, CMMB will expand its volunteer program to strengthen health care delivery in CHAMPS-supported facilities and will engage with the pharmaceutical industry to help meet the needs of CHAMPS communities and facilities.
CMMB is committed to learning and evolving in order to successfully achieve impact in its strategy and will have strong vertical and horizontal team structures in alignment to the global strategy in order to encourage accountability, communication, and effective project management.
We believe in people.
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence and respect every day. We provide our employees with a competitive salary and a meaningful benefits package, with opportunities to learn and grow. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply. Read more from our President & CEO below.
The Programs Department plays a critical role in achieving CMMB’s strategy around improving the lives of women and children, by leading the provision of high quality programs focused on children’s and mothers’ health, and particularly in the development and implementation of our CHAMPS model.
This team is also responsible for generating revenue from and partnering effectively with government(s), major foundations, and other major donors, and will help to position and enhance CMMB’s technical capacity and reputation in the field of global healthcare.
CMMB has been working in Kenya for almost 15 years. CMMB works to ensure that the most vulnerable populations, especially mothers and children, have access to quality services in health care, health promotion and illness prevention.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Communications intern is an integral part of both the Country Office and New York communications teams. He/she will participate in identifying, collecting and cataloguing stories and images about CMMB’s work and other relevant topics through interviews and content gathered from beneficiaries and staff.
He/she will further participate in vetting, obtaining necessary approvals and posting content on a multitude of platforms for numerous audiences. This role will require travel to in-country project sites for in-person interviews and content gathering. The role will also require photography skills and collection of appropriate release forms.
Additionally, the position is responsible for communications support, including writing and developing content that supports various program areas in the organization.
He/she will provide content that is engaging, informative, and visually appealing to be distributed across local digital and social media channels and local media outlets.
This is a highly collaborative role requiring working across time zones, countries, and teams.
The role will function as an internal journalist and should adhere to the ethics and brand guidelines set by CMMB at all times. This role requires a true go-getter who is comfortable connecting with people and getting to the core of a story.
Story and Image Gathering
- For finding inspiring stories within country programs, working with staff and beneficiaries, and volunteers
- Post, manage and monitor social media accounts
- Engaging in interviews with staff and community members to get firsthand accounts of CMMB’s impact and the challenges faced
- Diligent recording and documentation of content gathering (stories/interviews/images) and transcriptions into English when necessary
- Cataloguing stories into appropriate and organized filing system
- Taking compelling and respectful images of CMMB’s work in action, including staff in action, project sites, and more
- Work collaboratively and support professional photographers contracted to capture projects when scheduled
- Ensuring staff have branded materials and clothing, especially during a communications-related shoot day
- Use branded language on social media and in local press releases
- Provide content and strategy for local CMMB Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages
- Execute posting of content on a consistent schedule to be determined by country leadership
- Monitoring of local social media and escalating any concerns regarding social media to upper management
Release and Protocol
- Safe-guarding CMMB’s brand in social media, story gathering, and media relations
- Procuring and cataloguing photo and story releases
- Working with local media to promote CMMB stories in local press
- Sharing stories with local partners to enhance collaborations
Qualifications and Experience:
- Fluent in English and Swahili.
- Bachelor’s degree or 3 years of experience in journalism, communications, international relations, marketing, or another applicable area.
- Ability to develop and implement communications strategies and produce communications products.
- Enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Passion for CMMB’s mission, vision, and core values: collaboration, love, excellence, and respect.
- Strong attention to detail, project management, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Highly collaborative style.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and entrepreneurial.
- Must be comfortable working for a faith-based organization.
How to Apply
All applications must be received by 19th September 2023
Note: Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about us, visit our website at www.cmmb.org.