- The role provides strategic professional advice and comprehensive executive support to the Vice-Chancellor (VC) in the execution of key responsibilities which form the overall mandate of the university. This includes building and maintaining multidisciplinary people relationships to enable collaborative working with the faculty, management, students, and staff to advance USIU-Africa’s mission and vision.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Acts as an advisor to the VC and management team and assists the VC in facilitating effective decision making.
- Coordinates high-level meetings – Management Board, University Council and executes strategic and tactical initiatives arising thereon with regards to internal and external communications and interacting with Council members.
- Collaborates with Divisional Heads in enhancing working relationships with the VCs Office in such critical areas as team management, meeting preparation and strategic lead on high-profile projects, thereby fostering long-term partnerships and relationships that are critical to USIU-Africa’s success.
- Coordinates board evaluation and governance audit reviews in respect of the University Council and the Board of Trustees.
- Carries out periodic reviews and assessments of the terms of reference of Committees of the University Council.
- Is the custodian of the minutes of the University Council, Board of Trustees and the University Senate.
- Ensures governance and compliance; aligns internal policies and procedures with appropriate government, regulatory authorities and standards and gives advice and opinions on governance-related matters in general.
- Meeting preparation and follow-up: of upcoming meetings to ensure the VC has all of the information needed to be as productive as possible and sending out agendas or documents to meeting attendees as necessary.
- Monitoring information flow to ensure VC’s timely involvement in projects or decision-making processes.
- Managing the meeting calendar for University Council and Management Board, ensuring materials are sent in advance, time is well spent, and objectives are achieved.
- Overseeing multidisciplinary University projects or initiatives.
Educational/Professional Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Law graduate (LLB) from a recognized university, an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and professionally qualified ICPS (K).
- Minimum 5 years of executive-level experience and a proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management.
- Impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments.
- Experience in analyzing information and producing high-quality written materials on a broad range of subjects and outcomes under demanding time frames.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple priorities under deadlines while maintaining a high level of professionalism and attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact and discretion and maintain integrity with sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate positive working relationships and experience in a position requiring diplomacy, strong customer relations and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience in executing and managing complex projects, such as strategic plans and initiatives, in a fast-paced environment.
Personal Attributes, Skills & Competencies
- Effective, versatile and action-oriented with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a sensitive/ confidential environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organizational, oral and written communication skills and persuasive leadership style.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and/or SharePoint.
- Ability to conduct themselves in a professional and positive manner reflecting a professional environment.
- Excellent teamwork and ability to contribute to overall achievements by supporting co-workers, promoting excellence in work product and customer service.
- Implementing management decisions and guidelines.
- Thoroughness in the execution of directives.
- Liaising with departments and ownership in solving problems.
How to Apply
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and desire to work as a team member in a modern, progressive, international, and multicultural institution where you can make a difference, please apply indicating in the subject line of the email address the position you are applying for.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts by 5.00pm, July 7, 2023 to:
United States International University – Africa,
P. O. Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer