Oracle Database Administrator
Job Ref: HR: KP1/5B.2/1/3/1175
Reporting to the Principal System Administrator, the successful candidates will ensure effective provisioning and maintenance of core database platform to ensure availability, reliability and data integrity of the mission critical business systems.
- Implement policies, procedures, and technologies to ensure database security through secure access, monitoring, control, and routine security evaluations.
- Perform standard configuration, management, and maintenance tasks for database systems and underlying server infrastructure.
- Perform and test database configuration backups and restores to ensure system recovery from error or outage.
- Perform and test data backups and restores to ensure disaster recovery.
- Review and deploy database patch releases according to best practices.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on all systems.
- Monitor, test, and tune database performance; preserve and provide database log files as needed.
- Develop and implement contingency plans to guarantee systems operations during emergencies.
- Develop and implement efficient preventative maintenance schedules for servers, consoles and peripherals.
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems and software in conjunction with end-users and department managers.
- Coordinate with network engineers and system administration functions to implement systems that utilize industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
Interested applicants must possess the following;-
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical & Electronics Engineering or related field from a recognized Institution.
- Oracle Certification – Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) / Oracle Certified Professional (OCP)
- Possession of Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE: SQL 2016 Database Administration) will be an added advantage.
- Certification in Unix/ Linux Systems Administration.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Five (5) years working experience for Administrator I; Three (3) years for Administrator III and Two (2) years for Administrator IV preferably in a similar organization.
Technical Capabilities & Key Competencies
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and maintaining Oracle Databases.
- Hands-on hardware and software troubleshooting experience.
- Good technical knowledge of current server, storage and network hardware and standards, including clustering.
- Understanding of best practice in database administration and trends
- Excellent planning, presentation and evaluation skills
- Creativity and innovation
- Drive for results and achievement
- Insightful, proactive and future focused
- Demonstrates high level of integrity
How to Apply
Interested persons should submit their applications online through visiting Kenya Power website on http://www.kplc.co.ke. Attach detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates and other testimonials. Please note that we may use this information to conduct background verification during the recruitment process. Quote the title of the position you are applying for and include your mobile telephone contact, email addresses and names and addresses of three (3) referees to be received not later than Wednesday, 31st May 2023.
Only candidates offered employment shall be expected to present the following clearance certificates;
- Valid Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Valid Clearance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Valid Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- Current Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC);
- Current Report from an approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
- Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Kenya Power is an Equal Opportunity Employer.