BEFORE COMMENCING AN APPLICATION PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING:
Up to 6 new Beacon Scholarships for Schools are available each new academic year at Beacon Partner Schools. Applicants must be Nominated by their current School Head and gain an offer of admission to a Beacon Partner School.
Note: Beacon Scholarships are only available to students from KENYA, UGANDA, TANZANIA, and ZAMBIA.
Please read carefully the Eligibility Criteria and all other requirements before registering. There is strong competition for these scholarships, and shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview and full day leadership assessment.
1. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To begin the process of application for a Beacon Scholarship, a candidate must first register and download a Nomination Form to be completed and submitted by the Head of their current school.
Applicants will need to demonstrate:
(a) Academic Excellence
Reports from the applicant’s school are required as well as a personal recommendation from the Head. As a general guide, grades should be in the top decile (10%) of performance in an applicant’s age or peer group.
(b) Achievement in Sport, Music or Drama
An applicant must demonstrate that they are more than just an active participant in sport, music or drama, with some formal level of proficiency or accreditation.
(c) Social Influence and Communication
The applicant must have held a position of responsibility in their school, or failing that provide some evidence of confidence amongst peers. They will be required to undergo an interview which will give an indication of their aptitude and personality traits, and to participate in practical assessment exercises to establish their ability to form and develop relationships among peers.
An applicant must show through examples that they have helped those less fortunate than themselves, or have done work in the community, and are seen as role models. Unselfishness, kindness and concern for others are key criteria for The Beacon Scholarship and Scholars will be required to show continuing evidence of their efforts in these areas.
Applicants will also need to demonstrate, with examples, that they are a ‘Changemaker’, i.e. that:
1. They have the capacity to ‘take people with them’ and
2. They are already making a difference now, not at some future point in time
(f) Other Factors
In addition to the above, other factors to be taken into account include:
- Age – to be considered for the Beacon Scholarship for Schools is 13-18 years
- Integration potential (which necessarily involves consideration of the applicant’s competence in English)
- The applicant must be a national of, and ordinarily resident in, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, or Zambia
- Financial need – see below
- The likely contribution of the applicant to other areas of school life
- Commitment to make a contribution to the development of their home country
PLEASE NOTE: a Nomination is not a full application. Once a Nomination Form is received for a candidate there will be a review of their suitability for a Beacon Scholarship for Schools. If they are deemed to be suitable, candidates will then be invited to complete a full Application Form.
2. FINANCIAL NEED – DISCLOSURE REQUIREMENTS
In order for their child to qualify for a Beacon Scholarship, Parents/Guardians/Sponsors must demonstrate financial need and undertake full and complete financial disclosure.
Parents/Guardians/Sponsors must be committed both financially and educationally for their child to complete their secondary education as a Beacon Scholar. The Beacon Scholarship for Schools is designed as a ‘Joint Venture’ between The Beacon Equity Trust, the Beacon School, and the Beacon Scholar’s family. It is aimed at Parents/Guardians/Sponsors who can demonstrate financial need but are able to fund at least one third of the tuition fees (and boarding fees where applicable) for a Beacon Scholar. Families unable to fund their annual one-third share of fees should not apply. Please research fee levels of Beacon Partner Schools.
PLEASE NOTE: It is unlikely that Parents/Guardians/Sponsors with an annual gross household income above US$80k will qualify.
Parents/Guardians/Sponsors will be invited to complete a confidential Financial Disclosure form (see below) once the Application for a Beacon Scholarship has been reviewed. The Financial Disclosure form must be accompanied by electronic scans, in pdf or jpeg format, of the following documents and sent by email to The Beacon Equity Trust:
- the most recent 6 months’ payslips for each Parent/Guardian/Sponsor;
- letter from each Parent/Guardian/Sponsor’s employer verifying their annual income;
- tax returns for the last 2 years for each Parent/Guardian/Sponsor;
- if self-employed, financial statements verified by an accountant.
PLEASE NOTE: failure to submit the above-mentioned documents or to complete the Financial Disclosure form in full may lead to the instant disqualification of the applicant.
On receipt of the Financial Disclosure form and accompanying documents The Beacon Equity Trust will review the suitability of the application. Supplementary information may then be requested.
In addition Parents/Guardians/Sponsors will be required to:
- Complete a Financial Disclosure form whenever required by The Beacon Equity Trust.
- Disclose any material change in financial circumstances to the Beacon School and The Beacon Equity Trust. Should financial circumstances improve significantly, there may be some re-negotiation of the proportion of fees paid by Parents/Guardians/Sponsors.
- Give one full term’s notice to both the Beacon School and The Beacon Equity Trust should Parents/Guardians/Sponsors change their minds about their child continuing as a Beacon Scholar.
- Sign and comply with an Award Condition requiring opening an Education Fund Bank account to be used for the future education costs for the candidate.
- In the first year of the Scholarship, the Education Fund bank account should contain a minimum balance in it, by 30 June preceding commencement of the Award, of the 1/3 parental share of tuition fees for the next academic year.
- For the second year of the Award onwards, Pre-pay to the Beacon Partner School the 1/3 parental share of tuition fees for the next academic year from the Education Fund account prior to 30 June. Evidence of the Pre-payment will be submitted as part of The Beacon Scholarship Continuation Application each year.
The award of a Beacon Scholarship is for up to two-thirds of tuition fees (including boarding where applicable, and excluding extras). The Beacon Equity Trust will pay one-third and the Beacon Partner School will pay one-third. Parents/Guardians/Sponsors are expected to cover additional costs such as the payment of any school deposits and levies, school clothes, transport and extras such as school excursions and extra-curricular activities (eg music lessons).
- Candidates register on The Beacon Scholarship website, download a Nomination Form and forward it to their School Head;
- Beacon reviews the Nomination and issues an Application Form to suitable candidates;
- Beacon reviews Application Forms and shortlists candidates to be invited for interview and assessment;
- Parents of shortlisted candidates are invited to submit a Financial Disclosure form;
- A Beacon School invites the applicant for interview and assessment;
- A decision is made on whether or not a Beacon Scholarship is to be awarded;
- An Award Letter is sent by Beacon to the candidate and their Parents/Guardians/Sponsors;
- An Award Acceptance Form is completed by Parents/Guardians/Sponsors;
- A fee deposit is paid by Parents/Guardians/Sponsors to the Beacon School;
- A Mentor is assigned to the Beacon Scholar by the School.
INDICATIVE PROCESS TIMELINE – SCHOOLS SCHOLARSHIP
4. REGISTER TO ACCESS NOMINATION FORM
Candidates are strongly advised to click here for availability of Beacon Scholarship places at Beacon Partner Schools before applying. No Beacon School can have more than 3 Beacon Scholars enrolled at any given time.
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. APPLICATIONS WILL RE-OPEN ON 1 AUGUST 2023.