Opening Date: November 23 ,2022 Vacancy: CGHR/324/10/22
Project description: The Spatial repellents (SR) project is funded by UNITAID and seeks to fill the
gaps for assessing spatial repellent products efficacy, deployment and uptake strategies. In this regard,
Kenya has been selected as the site for conducting the epidemiological evaluation of spatial repellent
product efficacy in a high malaria transmission setting. This study is currently being conducted in Busia
County. The project seeks to fill the following position(s).
Position: Clinical Officer, KMR 8 (2 positions)
Location: Teso South and Teso North Sub Counties, in Busia County
Reporting to: Research Administrator
The incumbent is responsible for providing quality health care services to study participants through
diagnosing, investigating and treating patients and participate in research activities to improve human
health. The CO will follow up study participants on a monthly basis and administer essential services
outlined in the SOPs. Reporting to the Research Administrator, the Clinical Officer will be responsible
for research in children between 6 months and 15 years including standard data collection, history
taking and clinical examination, sample collection, mRDT and blood slide preparation for malaria
diagnosis and other procedures as necessary. S/he must be flexible and work within the existing
structure, in a professional and ethical manner with competence, accountability and integrity.
• Diploma in Clinical Medicine.
• Be registered with relevant authorities and in possession of a valid practicing license.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
• Fluency in both English and Swahili, written and spoken, Teso will be an added advantage
• Training in Good Clinical Practices and Paediatric Life Support are added advantages
• Knowledge of malaria case management
Skills and Abilities:
• Good communication and organizational skills
• Ability to collect study data using tablets
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collection of clinical data for the project from the Health facilities using tablets and paper forms
• Consenting potential study participants and screening for eligibility including pregnancy testing
of girls 13-15years of age
• Follow up research participants for study end points in collaboration with an assigned
• Assist with clinical care both in the outpatient and inpatient in designated health facilities. This
will include on-call out of hours as needed
• Conduct trial related assessments and collection of data using case record forms in accordance
to Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
• Liaise with the Research Administrator, epidemiology manager and other Clinical Officers as
• Record and report adverse and severe adverse events to the Research Administrator,
epidemiology manager and PI
• Diagnose, and treat study participants and members of the community in collaboration with
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Terms of Employment: This is a one year1 renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service with
a probation period in the first 3 months.
Remuneration: The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI scales plus supplemental amounts.
Applications should include the following:
- Letter of Application (Indicate Vacancy Number)
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae with Telephone number and e-mail address
- Three letters of reference with contact telephone numbers
- Copies of Academic Certificates and Transcripts
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply through Deputy Director, CGHR, P. O.
Box 1578-40100 Kisumu not later than December 13, 2022.
Please visit the KEMRI web site www.kemri.go.ke for more details on the advertisement.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER; WOMEN AND DISABLED PERSONS
ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. KEMRI/CGHR DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY
STAGE OF ITS RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW
MEETING AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER. IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT
SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY TO RELEVANT AUTHORITY
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted