Job expires on December 7, 2022
We are looking for a seasoned database administrator with a knack for end-to-end proactive database design and management, a gritty never-say-die doer who relishes challenges, is dynamic, resilient, creative, and highly motivated.
If you are looking for an employer who promotes individual excellence and mutual respect in a team-driven culture with a key focus on social empowerment, then the Database Administrator position within The Co-operative Bank of Kenya, “The Kingdom Bank” is the perfect opportunity for you to scale new horizons.
The role holder will ensure performance monitoring and management of database, data warehouse components, Supporting Infrastructure, and general ICT systems through setting up of optimal performance benchmarks and the use of modern best practices and appropriate tools to meet business performance, growth demands, ensure system security, business continuity and competitiveness in product and service development.
Specifically, the successful jobholder will be required to:
- Monitor performance and manage parameters to provide fast query responses to front-end users ensuring the performance of production databases.
- Monitor including systems logs, events, and event correlation and maintain performance statistics, and set baseline statistics.
- Monitor and manage the high availability components including RAC, Data guard, RMAN, ASM, and the underlying infrastructure for mission-critical databases.
- Develop, manage and test backup and recovery plans and ensure that storage, archiving, backup, and recovery procedures are functioning properly.
- Take a lead role in the various I.T. audits in providing necessary information and enforcing the closure of audit, change management, and compliance issues.
- Manage key I.T. risks for all database systems and ensure proper mitigation.
- Take the lead role in BCP and disaster recovery preparedness through periodic testing as scheduled and updating of disaster recovery procedures and sharing the results with management.
- Team up with applications support, development, and infrastructure team in the development, implementation, and management of applications, infrastructure, and monitoring system health in order to proactively identify weaknesses and address them.
- Perform database tasks such as schema design, capacity planning, maintenance, troubleshooting, and change control activities.
- Consider both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users and further refine the physical design to meet system storage requirements.
- Install database management systems (RDBMS) using best practice; ensure compliance with RDBMS license agreements and maintain upgrades and critical patches
- Database setup, configuration, and administration of MYSQL, MSSQL
- Installation and Administration of SAP HANA databases
- Create and maintain database documentation, including data standards, procedures, and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata) and maintain all technical documentation relating to database management.
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications, and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
- Perform under limited supervision, maintain reliability of data and databases, and assist in developing and implementing standards for database maintenance and configuration.
Skills, Competencies, and Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have the following skills and competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline, or equivalent.
- 3 – 5 years in database technology with experience deploying database and data warehousing technologies (e.g. high availability, real application clusters, ESBU backups, partitioning, Oracle data guard) in production environments.
- Oracle RDBMS 11g/12c OCP certification as well as strong SQL and PLSQL skills including data warehouse objects such as partitioning and materialized views.
- Skills in Oracle RDBMS 19c
- Skills in Oracle Engineered Systems e.g. Oracle SuperCluster, Exalytics, Exadata Storage, ZFS storage, and SmartScan.
- Skills in data integration, data warehousing, business intelligence, OLAP, and data mining as well as familiarity with ICT standards such as ITIL, and COBIT.
- Proficiency in various operating systems like AIX, Solaris, Linux & windows.
- Thorough knowledge of data profiling, data modeling, and data validation and associated tools; Skills in database sizing, storage, performance, and security considerations.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze and correlate complex data and excellent knowledge of the Oracle technology stack as well as excellent knowledge of ICT system architectures, platforms, and infrastructure.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical issues and exhibit a wide degree of creativity and latitude coupled with the ability to lead and direct the work of others without the benefit of a direct reporting relationship as well as the ability to utilize independent judgment and to support senior managers on operational criticality
- General awareness of the banking industry ICT operations and security procedures.
How to apply
If you fit the profile, then apply today! Please forward your application enclosing detailed Curriculum Vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the job reference number DBA2/ICTI/2022 by 7th December 2022.
We are an equal-opportunity employer.